查看: 2346|回复: 3
收起左侧

[其它] 求翻译转载http://www.designspark.com

2012-5-4 08:17:41 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Raspberry Pi and Custard - Engineers first hands on Review.

10 Apr 2012

pauljclarke

United Kingdom

The Raspberry Pi (aka Raspi) was released back at the end of February but here we are weeks later with no real hardware. We engineers are only interested in the guts of this product. So RS sent me a beta board to look at to answer the question : What is there for a engineer in the product? Well it’s time to fix that and let a real engineer at the real hardware and see if its worth opening a tin of custard for this bad boy or not!?

Since the end of February we have had to wait while shipping delays and the wrong connector have delayed us getting our hand on real boards. Then with so much hype, people from outside the engineering community came flooding in wanting boards also. This changed the whole ‘its just a Development board’ thing into a product that needs CE and FCC approval. This has then dragged on for what has seemed forever but in just the last few days we have good news. The team at Raspi has got the PASS they needed and in the next few days we should be getting the OK from both RS and Element14, then they can finally start shipping boards.My view from the beginning was however was that this is a development board, a platform to work with and develop on. So the question really is what can you do with a Raspi that you can't get with a old pentium PC running linux?The latest board packs a real punch per pound. Its a tiny board that has a ARM core running at 700MHz. You're going to find a Graphic chip to run the HDMI video output, Ethernet and USB connections too. The board is designed to boot and run from a image on a SD card and so far this has been purpose builds of Linux. There are a few other things like a JTAG connector but the thing I wanted to know more about than anything is the General Purpose I/O interface (GPIO).Getting started was really easy. If you have read my reviews before you will know that I want a quick setup time, good guide and a route to go on with it after the first test. So unpacking was real simple, nothing fancy comes with the board not even a bit of paper with a link to the main Raspi site.!? Good job I know my way around google! [EDIT: RS tell me that final product will have a guide included]The getting started guides tells you to how to go and download a Linux image to put on your SD card (not supplied). I got the Debian image that fits on a 2GB card. Unfortunately this did take me an hour to download and would suggest people find mirrors to download from, just I wanted to try direct from Raspi. You then need a image writer to place the image on the SD card, again the guides tell you where to get these and its was easy to follow and ‘burn’ the image. Then come that moment of power up and will it work?I plugged in my HMDI to DVI-D cable, USB keyboard and then spent 20 mins looking for a mobile phone USB cable to power it up. I know lots of people have these USB phone chargers now, but not all of us do. So a alternative power input would be nice on the board also - after all if I want to put this ‘in’ something one day then hacking my mobile phone USB cable is not what I want to do and nor do i want to solder to the board either!OK so power on and the screen comes to life displaying the Raspi logo and the sight of Linux booting up. I found it took around one and half mins to boot. There are a few things I noticed that happened during the boot. If there is no Ethernet connected it spends a bit of time trying to poll for a DHCP server. I was under the impression that hardware could tell if a cable was connected? Why look if there is not one there? I know this is a Debian thing but just saying its a pain. Also found that I got ‘mmc’ errors sometimes. These are errors reading from the SD card. There is a list of approved cards on the web site and need to be Class 4. My card was pulled from a dev kit I have here so have no idea what it really is, so can’t complain.Once your board is booted then you get the login prompt. From here on in its all Linux and depending on what you use depends what you will get. However I was interested in the hardware of the board. Now I have a low cost Linux board, can I actually do anything else?There are lots of ways of programming the Raspi. The team at Cambridge I have seen programming the board in Python, hence the boards name. Python becoming Py, or now Pi. Personally I program in C and so experimented with this. I used a Linux editor called ‘Pico’ to generate a ‘Hello World’ program and compiled it with the pre-installed ‘gcc’ compiler. This all worked but would not run. This I found it to do with permissions (another Debian thing here) and had to run it from root.Next to wiggle some hardware then. After a bit of hunting around on the Raspi Wiki I found the pinouts for the GPIO connector and also found some sample code. This Demo code allowed me to connect up a LED and get it blinking. Oh yes thats right we have a blinky LED! That's far more important to a hardware engineer than seeing Linux boot and run.!? )[Check board spec and current ratings when connecting to GPIO]I was also able to find that you can access and control the GPIO via ‘bash’ script. This means you can write simple scripts to control hardware attached to the board but again has to be via root.On this GPIO connector you will find 16 I/O pins. Some of these can be used as a serial port, I2C and SPI. Unfortunately there is no support for the SPI or I2C from Raspi or in this Debian build so I can’t test them. This is a massive shame in my view as this is what we engineers really need in my view.So will I be opening the tin of custard? Well yes but it will be going on something other than my board. I’m impressed we have such a low cost board with so much on it. I think this will be a great board for developers who are looking for a powerful environment like Linux and want real I/O access. There are a number of other development going on that will help expand these hardware ports and I know that the linux community will love this board also - maybe we will finally find a board that both software and hardware engineer like using?There is so much more to the Raspi and this post has only looked at one side of it. Later this week I hope to push through another blog about this board from the point of view of education. I also suspect there is now going to be lots more content appearing over the next few weeks as the boards ship and people start using them.Many thanks
Paul ( @monpjc )Raspberry Pi hub on elinux.org
Raspberry Pi Forum
Enable root password / access so you can ‘su’ into the board
Coming soon - Raspi breakout hardware
COMP1917 - Video of NUSW 2008 lectures : Higher Computing with Richard Buckland== OTHER IMAGES ==   转载http://www.designspark.com/conte ... mpaign=120501_raspi
回复

使用道具 举报

2012-5-4 12:55:08 | 显示全部楼层
这是早期的文章了。英文不错的,可以翻一下。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

2012-5-4 22:06:26 | 显示全部楼层
跟着顶
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

2012-5-6 17:40:25 | 显示全部楼层
Raspberry PI(又名Raspi)于二月底被公布,但在这周以后,我们没有真正的硬件。我们的工程师唯一感兴趣的就是这个产品的勇气。所以RS给我一个测试板,让我从中寻找答案:对工程师来说产品中有什么?嗯,是时候决定是否需要一名真正的工程师在真正的硬件上来看看它是否值得为一名淘气的孩子开罐奶油蛋羹了。
自二月底以来我们不得不等待,因航运的延误和错误的接口耽误了我们拿到真正的主板。然后有如此多的炒作,来自工程界以外的人也涌来想要主板。这样使得整个“只是一个开发板”的东西变成产品需要得到CE认证和FCC认证的批准。这之后似乎永远久拖不决,但在刚过去的几天里我们有了好消息。Raspi团队得到了需要通行证,并且在接下来的几天里我们应该从RS和Element14那里确定,然后他们终于可以开始交付主板了。
我最初认为它不过是一个开发板,一个供开发的工作平台。因此真正的问题是你能用Raspi在一个老旧的奔腾电脑上运行linux吗?
最新的主板配备了一个真正的punch per pound。它的微小的电路板上有一个运行700MHz的ARM核心。你会发现有一个图形芯片运行HDMI视频输出接口,也会发现以太网和USB接口。主板这样设计是为了从SD卡上运行和引导镜像,也是至今基于Linux的目的。还有一些其他的类似JTAG的接口,但我知道比什么都重要的是通用的I/O接口(GPIO)。
入门很容易。你在读过我的评论之前你就会知道,首次测试后,按照指导步骤,快速设定时间,就能继续使用它。因此,拆包是很简单的,没有什么花哨伴随,甚至不需要链接到Raspi的网站。干的好,我知道我的方法围绕谷歌。(PS:RS告诉我最终的产品将会含有一份指南)
入门指南告诉你如何去下载一个Linux镜像到你的SD卡(不附带)上。我下载了一个非常适合2GB卡的Debian镜像。不幸的是这花了我一个小时来下载,我建议大家从镜像下载,只是我想尝试直接从Raspi上下载。然后你需要把镜像写入你的SD卡,指南会告诉你在哪儿得到这些,镜像是很容易刻录的。然后等待开启电源的那一刻,它将工作吗?
我把我的电缆线从HMDI接口插到显示器的DVI-D接口上,将USB键盘的电缆线插到USB接口上,然后花了20分钟寻找手机的USB充电器来给它供电。我知道很多人现在都有这样的USB手机充电器,但并不是所有人都这么做。所以选择一个电源适配器接在主板上也许会好一点,毕竟如果有一天我想把电缆线接入某些设备,然后它从我的手机USB电缆线入侵,这不是我想做的事情,我也不想在主板上焊接。
接通电源后屏幕上开始显示Raspi的logo以及Linux的启动画面。我发现花了大约半分钟来启动它。在启动过程中有几件事情我注意到了。如果没有连接以太网主板则会花一点时间尝试连接到DHCP服务器的轮询中。如果连接上了,根据我的印象硬件是会有通知的。为什么看似一个都没有呢?我知道这是Debian的事情,但我只是说这很头疼。我还发现有时遇到“MMC”的错误。这些是SD卡上的读取错误。在网站上有一个被认可的SD卡列表,并需要是Class 4.我这儿的SD卡是被我从工具箱上拔下来的,所以不知道它是不是真的,也就没什么可抱怨的。
一旦你的主板启动,那么你将获得登录提示。从这里开始,你干什么取决于你会得到什么依靠其所有的Linux环境。不管怎样我感兴趣的是主板的硬件。现在我有一个低成本的Linux主板,我实际上能做些什么呢?
Raspi编程的方式有很多。在剑桥团队,我已经看到了主板用Python编程,因此主板的名字来源,由Python变成PY,或者现在的PI。就我个人而言,我在C语言中试验了一个程序。我用了一个叫做“Pico”的Linux编辑器生成了一个“Hello World”的程序,以及用预装的“gcc”编译器来编译它。这一切都工作了,但不会运行。这时我发现它所做的权限(另一个Debian的东西在这里),这样就不得不从根目录运行它。
然后下一步扭动一些硬件。后来我在Wiki上做了少量关于Raspi的搜索,我发现了GPIO连接器的引线,并且也发现了一些示例代码。这个演示代码允许我将LED灯连接上并使它闪烁。哦,是的,没错,我们有了闪烁的LED指示灯。对硬件工程师来说这远比看到Linux启动和运行更重要。
[当连接到GPIO接口上时,检查主板规格和额定电流值]
我还发现,你可以通过写脚本来访问和控制GPIO。这意味着你可以编写简单的脚本来控制连接到主板上的硬件,但必须从根目录运行。
在此GPIO连接器上你能找到16根I/O针脚。其中的一些可用作串行端口,如I2C和SPI。不幸的是基于Debian生成的Raspi不支持SPI或I2C,所以我不能测试它们。我觉得这是一个巨大的耻辱,作为工程师这是我们真正需要的。
所以我要开罐奶油蛋糕吗?恩,是的,那会在其他的东西上进行,而不是在我的主板上。使我印象深刻的是我们有这么多低成本的主板。我认为这对开发者正在寻找像Linux这样强大的环境以及希望实际的访问I/O端口来说,这将是一个伟大的主板。有许多其它的开发正在进行,这将有助于扩展这些硬件端口数量,我相信Linux社区也一定会喜欢这款主板-也许最终我们将找到这样一款,那么软件和硬件工程师会喜欢用吗?
还有很多关于Raspi的帖子,这里仅仅只是从某一方面来看待Raspi。本周晚些时候我希望从教育的观点来推动有关此主板的另一个博客。我感觉在未来发售以及人们开始使用它的几周将会有更多的内容出现。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

热点推荐

关注我们,了解更多

官方微信

服务时间:10:00-16:00

公司地址:深圳市龙岗区南湾街道东门头路8号

Copyright © 2012-2020 Powered by 树莓派论坛 2019.4  粤ICP备15075382号-1
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部